We got on the Whole 30 band wagon after the new year and have 1 more week until I get to eat my beloved cheese once more! We’ve had to get creative with this so as not to bore ourselves to death eating the same recipes and snacks for weeks, so I wanted to share a couple. Happy whole eating!
Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
Chicken, cooked and shredded
Toasted almond slivers
Salt and Pepper
Combine all ingredients and enjoy in leaves of hydroponic lettuce.
Paleo Mayo (from The Clothes Make the Girl)
2 tbs lemon juice @ room temp.
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil
1. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Let them come to room temperature together, about 30-60 minutes. Add the dry mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup of the oil. Whirl until well mixed – about 20 to 30 seconds.
2. Incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil into the mixture. To do this, you must pour very slowly… the skinniest drizzle you can manage and still have movement in the oil. This takes about three minutes or so. Think about three minutes during a WOD; it’s a fairly long time. Breathe. Relax. Drizzle slowly.
If you’re using a blender, you’ll hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. Eventually, the substance inside the blender will start to look like regular mayonnaise, only far more beautiful. Do not lose your nerve and consider dumping! Continue to drizzle.
If your ingredients were all at room temperature and you were patient, you will be rewarded!
Breakfast Cups (from Katrina Runs)
1/2 lb ground pork loin (or turkey sausage)
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup onions
1/4 cup green/red/yellow peppers
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 can green chiles
1. Sauté peppers and onions in 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
2. Add spinach and cook until water has evaporated and spinach is wilted.
3. In a separate pan, brown the pork or turkey sausage and season accordingly.
4. Combine vegetables, pork, and green chilies in bowl. Mix eggs in separate bowl.
5. Spray or use muffin liners for 12 muffin cups. Divided pork mixture evenly among all cups. Pour eggs over all 12.
6. Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until brown on top.